On Saturday I will reach the 20 week milestone -halfway there. On one hand I am anxious to get to the delivery, and hold my own baby in my arms, while on the other I'm enjoying the experience of being pregnant so much that I actually don't want it to be over so soon. Knowing this will likely be my only opportunity at it, I'm really treasuring each stage as I go along. So it's this fine balance of hurry up, but don't go so fast I miss something.
I was looking back at our 11 week ultrasound scan photos the other day, and felt a strange twinge of sadness that baby Silver will never be the same as that ever again. It's only the beginning of firsts and stages, jeez I'm going to be a sentimental mess if this continues. Still, I'm waiting to breathe out another little bit next month when we reach the 24 week fetal viability milestone. Then maybe I'll feel comfortable buying a few baby items and relax just a little more. I still wake up every morning and think about how lucky we are to have beaten the odds like that.



I could have written this post. I remember looking at people's tickers who were behind me and thinking, "oh, I remember when I was the [insert fruit here]" and feeling sort of wistful. On the other hand, each new stage has something exciting about it (feeling baby move, feeling those movements change as he gets bigger (sometimes from day to day things change!), finally being noticeably pregnant and people finally stop telling me (at 6.5 months) that maybe when I reach three months I'll start to show or reminding me that I need to be really careful in the first three months).
ReplyDeleteI love being pregnant so much that I am sure that I will miss it a lot, and I was worried for a lot of the time that I wouldn't actually want to HAVE the baby after all, I would just want to be pregnant forever. But now that I'm nearing the end, I'm feeling so ready to meet him and it's not because of discomfort (mostly), it's just... I don't know. Hormonal changes that make sure you're ready? I just feel more ready to leave this behind and move forward. But not for another week, please! ;)
I'm so thrilled for you!
Oh yes, each stage has it's own wonder and magic. Sometimes when I'm holding my guys I try to remember how it felt having them on the inside. It's been 7 months but I can still feel it like it was yesterday. I hope I never forget.
ReplyDeleteThat said, it is really, really nice having them on the outside. I get choked up every time I pack away clothes that don't fit them anymore. I think how they'll never be that small ever again. They really grow too quickly at all stages.
Alanna
I agree with Alanna. It just gets harder as you have to pack away each little piece of clothing as they grow up. The only good thing about infertility is that if you do get to the other side it gives you the sense to fully appreciate everything about being pregnant and having such a wonderful miracle. Most people don't truly appreciate what a gift it is to have a baby.
ReplyDeleteTanya
Thanks for posting comments. I often wonder if I am writing to myself on this new blog. I'm absolutely savouring every moment -well, aside from the kidney stone stuff of course. I have to remember that change is exciting and inevitable, and I'm just along for the ride.
ReplyDelete